MEXICO: chochitos enchilados!




 It was in February 2008 when I came to Mexico for the first time, and it was with the whole class when I finished my University degree. Good memories!
This time it has been a bit different since I came for work, but the country has fascinated me the same. It has been Mexico DF this time. Fortunately I had some time to visit the city and know some Mexican people. Knowing Mexicans is something so easy, they really make you feel at home at the first time (thanks Jordi, Viky, Tono,Yan). I would like to talk about Maya culture and the time when they were part of Spain, but this will required a post itself, so much history behind. There are so much contrasts between different areas of this big city. But at latest I want to mention some curiosities about this city and its people. I promise, not about chili! I had too much in one week ;)

Safety is one of them, still very much present in their the daily life and people s really need to take care about it. Yesterday, while going to restaurant I pushed the "panic bottom" on the car, a kind of alarm to alert the police in case something is going wrong there. It happened was very close by “Insulgentes street” the longest one in the world with 60km. It is inspired on champs Elsees since the gubernator that ask to build it loved this country. Streets, all of them are full of "changos" little potable tables were people sell all kind of unimaginable things. And it is of course so popular because they don't need to pay the government, they just need to give some money to the police man to escape the fine. Corruption is still very present there. Here I would like to rise up again the dose problem on the non-developed markets with the purchase power, people buy cigarettes by units, same as what happens in Brazil with Aspirina!

It is also about safety how the buildings are made there all a bit inclined, with "shock absorbers" to prevent earthquakes, very popular in that region. Same as cars without breaks, in the motorway we found this advice!

Another curiosity from this market was about the names they call some products. Probably because Spanish is my mother tongue I could not stop lauthing at some of the names I’ve seen this days. It is very important, again, to know a market before introducing a product, it’s costumes but as well it language and slang. Being the product  for the local market or for export. I can’t imagine people in Spain buying "chochito boy" candies or buy chicken on a "chili-pollos" shop. And it is really happening in many markets I visit, once I found in Dubai a “Mitsubishi pajero” and I know there is as well a "nissan Moco" . No comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment